Here’s the next installment of my top albums. Sorry posts have been slow forthcoming. Lately it’s been really hard getting any quiet time to write. I haven’t written a whole lot for this list so please, if anyone has any questions drop me a line.
Oh, and since I’m not covering classic rock in this list I thought I’d share with you my favorite Led Zeppelin song (just so you know I’m not without any culture). My favorite Led Zeppelin song is “Fool In the Rain”. (I thought about making people guess, but that would have been too hard.) Anyone out there with a non-traditional Zeppelin favorite?
(I just realized I’ve been doing the titles on these posts backwards, too. And I just corrected my list progression in the last group. Damnit! I can’t get this right!)
30. Cake – Fashion Nugget
29. Blind Melon – self-titled
28. Prince – Purple Rain
27. Sublime – 40oz to Freedom
Even though my favorite Sublime song (“What I Got” – really, it’s more of a mantra) is on their self-titled album (you know the one with “Santeria” on it) I just enjoy this album a lot. How can you not smile at lyrics like “He was a nazi, yeah yeah yeah”? (For those of you who are not familiar with the song, it’s not an endorsement of the third Reich in any way.)
26. Dave Matthews – Crash
I’ve liked other Dave Matthews stuff, but this album just caught me from beginning to end. I wanted to play “Crash” at my wedding, but we couldn’t figure out a way to work in a song about S&M without it seeming weird.
25. Sex Pistols – The Great Rock & Roll Swindle
What? Compilation album? La la la… I can’t hear you.
24. Morrissey – Bona Drag
When I’m channeling my inner gay man and singing Morrissey songs, Keen says I sound just like him. I pretend that’s a compliment.
23. The Presidents of the United States of America - self-titled
22. Soundgarden – Superunknown
21. Nirvana – In Utero
This is a fantastic album. I know Nevermind is still many people’s favorite, but this is just a fantastic album.
20. The Flaming Lips – The Satellite Heart
19. Train – pre-album My favorite Train album was actually this CD they burned themselves and gave out when they played in local bars. It’s a great CD and is really just like the “official” album but the song progression is different (and really, sometimes that makes all the difference). I’ve been a little disappointed with the band since they’ve gone more mainstream. Not that I think selling your art for money is bad (I’m not into hating a group because they “sold out” or any of that); I just think they’ve lost some of their soulful edge.
18. Sponge – Rotting Pinata
Love it, love it, love it! “Plowed” is so fucking awesome. “Molly” is pretty damn good, too. But “Plowed”… it used to be one of my at-work-angst songs.
17. Mary’s Danish – American Standard
16. Indigo Girls – 1200 Curfews, Disc 2
This album is currently MIA but I love it. Any time I can hear “Closer to Fine” and “Galileo” in one sitting, I’m pretty happy. They just make my day.